I have had 2 predictably lacklustre responses from Cumbria County Council over their decision to impose 285 Syrian refugees on Cumbria.
I have lodged a formal complaint with them about the quality of this response and told them I will refer this to the Information Commissioner if they don’t provide a full response within 2 weeks. I have also told them that their lack of evidence and therefore assumed lack of justification means the decision can be challenged in court.
In a nutshell:
- they don’t know where they are going to put them
- they aren’t going to consult with the community, they are just going to put them somewhere
- they are mostly relying on the Home Office to do all the checking, checking we know is utterly flawed and bringing in single men, not vulnerable women and children
- they haven’t clearly spelled out how much they will get from the government for putting refugees ahead of Cumbria residents in the social housing queue
- they don’t have (or won’t admit to) any combined Cumbria data on social and demographic factors, housing waiting lists, availability of places etc to justify their decision
- they don’t have any resettlement plan – or any plan at all apart from taking the government’s money, it would appear
“SERVING THE PEOPLE OF CUMBRIA”. Indeed.
A ‘Refugees Mark 2’ press release is being planned soon.